Saturday, May 15, 2010

Recipes


Well today I thought would be a good day to try out some new gluten free recipes from my many cookbooks that I have accumulated in the last month from friends.
First I went out and bought all the different kinds of flour, I will be experimenting over the next few weeks with the different flours to come up with different breads and such. I bought such flour as both white and brown rice, soy, potato, potato starch, corn starch, etc. I have about 4 containers and still about 7 more bags to put into separate containers later.
Then I decided to go through all my cookbooks to see which recipes called my name. Today it was flour less peanut butter cookies and angel food cake.

The flour less cookies are from the cookbook called "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods" by Bette Hagman. And boy are they delicious. I must warn though if you try this recipe be ready for a tough mixing. Because it is flowerless and there are only 2 eggs in the mix it is both sticky and difficult to mix, a few times my beater sounded like it wanted to give out. But boy they were Delicious when done. If you don't have much time and you want something sweet this is the recipe for you, I think it took me all of 10 minutes to mix and that was only because I was being lazy and silly and then it takes about 10 minutes to cook.

The other recipe was Angel food cake from "125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes" by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt. This recipe will more then likely be well worth it. I'm still waiting for it to finish baking. But it took a lot of time to do. You first have to separate the eggs so you only have the whites left of 12. Then you have to beat them till the are foamy, add some ingredients, beat till stiff, add more ingredients and then beat once more till very stiff and then add some more ingredients but this time you have to fold the ingredients into the mixture. I believe the prep time for this was close to 30 minutes alone and then it has to cook for 40. So I'm waiting patiently to try this recipe but I believe it will be delicious.Tomorrow is croissants and almond macaroons. Wish me luck.
-Photo Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment