Friday, January 7, 2011

Good Service...Good Food

Hello all,
I know I haven't posted diligently over this holiday break, but I have been to say the least... lazying around. I have done practically nothing but relax. I tried to start a quilt that the main panel is appliqué but it's not the same as I am use to so me and my mom have to figure out how to make it work, however we did choose our materials for the respective panels, one each for my mom, my sister and myself. As well I got the materials for my compass rose quilt and heart quilt though haven't started those either. And as for my photography, I needed a much needed break which was further helped by the lots of rain and snow we had with little sunshine.

I have however had tons of time to shop and found the wonderful cook book that is more than a cook book by gluten free girl and the chef. I love the stories they put in it and the fact that not only is it a recipe book but a good book with stories of their life and how they get on. The one thing I was disappointed in was the lack of a pizza recipe which I was almost positive I had read was going to be in there and which is pictured on the cover. None the less I am glad I purchased the book.

The other thing I have been doing this holiday break has been eating, and I mean eating a lot, lots and lots of good food. I have discovered a new haunt I might go to when with my family called "Rooster" or something with that word in it. Anyways the first time I ate there we called in advance to check out the gluten free options. They offered to fry my fries in a pot of oil so they wouldn't be cross contaminated and do my halibut fried instead of battered. I had a wonderful experience, the fish was moist, the fries were fresh... all I can say was that it was amazing and I felt safe eating there. We then recently decided to eat there again before my brother went back to school and had another wonderful experience. The service was impeccable, the wait-staff lovely. I didn't feel judged or anything, they again complied to the fries in a separate pot of oil and since I couldn't have the halibut this time because it had already been breaded they suggested the pulled pork with out bread of course or the salmon but a smaller portions so it did not cost as much as the dinner portions. I decided on the fish because recently I have been having problems digesting pork. However my mom had the pulled pork and said it was delicious. I optioned for the salmon. It was cooked just right nice and moist again but no fishy taste. The fries were of course the best I have ever had at a restaurant and the spices on the fish refreshing. It definitely goes to show you good service does make for good food.

Then just yesterday me and my mom decided to try perogies again. I would give you the recipe link but I can't seem to find where I got it. If I find it I will post it. They turned out lovely. This time for the fillings we did mashed potatoes with onions in some and mashed sweet potatoes with mozzarella goat's cheese. Those the sweet potatoes ones were a little on the sweet side for my family I liked them a lot, I think if we had mixed the two types together before putting them in the perogies it would have been just perfect. But I still found them perfect and delicious. Doubling the batching and having extra in the freezer for a later date. The ones we cooked yesterday was eaten all up at that seating.
Who knows what we will make next.
-Photo Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment