Friday, December 3, 2010

Yummy, Yummy goodness

So I finished my prelim portfolio, it was handed in today and therefore I had tons of time on my hand and nothing to do. I decided I would back some recipes because I have been craving chocolate and not only chocolate but baked goods. I think I went a little over board but I needed it, the cooking calmed me and I felt better after I finished. A carton of eggs later and I now have 3 cakes and a sheet of brownies.
I decided this time to try my book "125 Best Gluten Free Recipes" by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt for one of the cake recipes, I used the White Cake recipe on page 142. It was easy to make and and went together pretty quickly. It also helped that all my recipes needed the same temperature. I have just tried this one and it has a very mild, plain taste, I think if I were to use this recipe not only would I put icing on it as one option or as another option I would serve it with a berry sauce because the cake alone does not have that much flavour to it, however it is fairly moist. I then continued with my resolution to work completely through one of my recipe books and that book being the "You Won't Believe It's Gluten free" by Roben Ryberg, the book that many of the recipes I have talked about already are from. I decided to try the potato based Soft Chocolate Cake on page 312. This cake grew in size like there was no tomorrow, it actually rose a good 2 inches were as my other 2 cakes only grew about another cm or so. Anyways this cake is very nice, it's moist and the chocolate flavour is not too over powering. It says in the book they pair it with the peanut butter icing recipe but I'm a no icing kind of gal so I didn't do that, but it didn't matter cause this cake didn't need it anyways. I then tried one Red Velvet Cake from page 340, potato based, with out the red. This recipe had very similar ingredients to the Chocolate cake and actually tastes like an even milder version of that cake. Because there was no red dye this cake is just a lighter shade of brown then the chocolate cake and has just a hint of that taste. I had never had a red velvet cake and to be truthful, I probably wouldn't make this cake again just because it seemed too similar to the Soft Chocolate Cake. And lastly I made potato based Brownies found on page 354. Compared to the brownies I had last time from this book which were corn based, I liked these ones better. The chocolate was just enough chocolate without being too overpowering and it was not only chewy it was crunchy which is what I like.

That's all for now and I hope you enjoyed the review. I suggest you try the brownie recipe. Till next time.
Sincerely,
Alex Cirinna

No comments:

Post a Comment